Sunday 6 May 2012

(Day 48) One door closes


Wednesday 18th April (Day 48)


The team

So, today is the day where I sink or swim.  I had to do well today and get some signups or I was going to be fundraising no more.  I was hoping for a good team to work with today and I got one.  I was working with Eric and Will; the 2 fundraisers who I have learnt the most from.  Surely the Gods have conspired to make this happen.  I couldn’t have picked a better team for me to work with.

The setting

However we were working in a place called Rockdale.  I didn’t really like the sound of this place.  I got images of some shady little town with sand and tumbleweeds.  I really wanted to work in the city instead.

I got the train to Rockdale that morning.  It was pretty far out of the city and it wasn’t too different from how I imagined it.  The driving rain that made my day yesterday so miserable was back again.  So the team was great but the setting for my sink or swim day was bad and I didn’t get off to a good start either.  The pressure of knowing this was probably going to be my final day was really sapping my energy. 

That morning

The morning passed fairly quickly and I was doing alright.  Despite the problems I wasn’t going to let this job go without a fight.  I stopped one guy who said he was going to and from a tattoo shop just down the road whilst getting a large tattoo done on his leg.  I suggested that he should join our charity today because whenever he looks at his tattoo it will remind him that he is helping save children’s lives.

Some old guy I tried to stop turned around and said by saving children’s lives we were adding to the problems in Africa with reference to over population.  This is bollocks because over population is caused by poverty, not the other way round.  
The reasons being:

  • Health care and family planning facilities unavailable to most families
  •  Families need lots of children to work to scrap enough money together for the family to live off
  • The fact that most of your children are going to die, so naturally you are going to have more to increase the chances of some making it to adulthood
  • And the fact that as a parent you will probably at this point be critically ill and need children to look after you      



And the charity I was representing is focused not just on saving people’s lives but to break the poverty cycle.  I tried to stop this guy to have a discussion with him about how he was wrong but he didn’t want to.  He just wanted to have his say and to walk away, what an ignorant twit.  Anyway, rant over.


The evening

After lunch I was still trying hard, approaching most of the people who were walking towards me but it was just no good.  The thing is you have to stay positive in this job, if you are not emitting positive energy nobody stops to talk to you.  I just felt like I was staring down the barrel of the gun of being fired.  It was coming and there wasn’t anything I could do about it.

At some points in the afternoon I just felt like “oh, what’s the point”.  Well the point was I really liked this job, I really liked the charity I was representing, I really liked the company and I really liked the people I worked with.  I really wanted to hang on and stay with this job but I just couldn’t make that illusive signup.

By 6 o’clock it was getting dark and it was all over.  I think Will made one signup that morning but that was it.  Wonder boy Eric hadn’t made a signup in the 2 days I have worked with him.  It seemed a bit unfair that he was now going to fire me for not getting any signups whilst he was on zero as well.  But I suppose he has already proved himself.

I was pretty gutted handing in my tee-shirt and folder.  I wanted to stay in this job but I couldn’t, not without any signups.  It’s over, damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment